exclamation-circle Frage Can't cut more them 10 mm

Mehr
01 Dez 2017 19:58 #51447 von Otero.0
Can't cut more them 10 mm wurde erstellt von Otero.0
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to this cnc thing. Although I've been able to complete some projects I keep having this issue of breaking bits when i go deeper than 10 mm.

This issue only happens when I’m performing a 2d contour (Fusion 360).

My configs:
Stepcraft 840
HF Spindle at 16k - 18k RPM
End Mill - 3 mm
Stepover - 1.5 mm
Feed rate - 1000 mm/min to 1500 mm/min

The thing is that, when I’m cutting MDF or in this last case pine (soft woods) at more or less 10 mm I start hearing this strange vibration and i notice that the bit touches the walls and breaks.

I've tried some different feeds and speeds but I never had successes with a thickness bigger then 3mm.

What’s annoying me is that when I do a pocket process this vibration happens on the first run and then stops and I can go deeper than 12 mm.

Please I could use some help here. Thank you for your time.

Dieser Beitrag enthält Bilddateien.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um sie zu sehen.

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
02 Dez 2017 16:43 #51452 von Deltaflyer
Deltaflyer antwortete auf Can't cut more them 10 mm
Hey,
do you cut the 10mm deep in one pass? Maybe choose more passes.
How long is the cutting edge of the milling cutter?
Note: a 3mm cutter may have a 1/8 "(3.175mm) shank, then you get the problem that the shank of the cutter is in the milling groove and therefore the cutter breaks.
Then you have to see if you can buy a cutter with a longer cutting edge, or at least a milling cutter, whose shank is the same thickness, or thinner than the cutting diameter.
Greetings Stefan

Mein Tag hat 24 Stunden und reicht dies mal nicht nehm ich noch die Nacht dazu.

Mehr
02 Dez 2017 20:36 #51457 von frankjoke
frankjoke antwortete auf Can't cut more them 10 mm
I had this as well if: x/y/z has some room to play. There should not be potential movement possible by hand.

The other reason I had was the cutter not having a sharp cut in that depth.

To avoid it you can run passes with max 5mm depth and amake a second cut outside the main cut with half a cutter size (1,8mm in case you use 1/8") .

In this case you broaden the cut and give the cutter in deeper areas more room .

Frank
Steppcraft 600/2 + HF500 + SwitchBox + Laser + Schleppmesser
Absaugung und Vakuumtisch
an Mach3 oder UCCNC mit Taster für Z-Null und Werkzeuglänge

Mehr
02 Dez 2017 21:51 #51460 von peterg1000
peterg1000 antwortete auf Can't cut more them 10 mm
Make sure that all the swarf is continually cleared from the slot, otherwise it will build into a solid mass and either stall the axis or break the cutter (or both!!).

SC 420/2, Industrial VFD spindle from StoneyCNC
UC100 + UCCNC
Cut2D, Autosketch10, Draftsight, Eagle 9.5.1

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.

Mehr
05 Dez 2017 20:00 #51502 von Otero.0
Otero.0 antwortete auf Can't cut more them 10 mm
Hi Stefan, thanks for your comments.

The tool I'm using is a 1/8" 2 Flute Square with the specs attached.

Dieser Beitrag enthält Bilddateien.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um sie zu sehen.

Mehr
05 Dez 2017 20:09 #51503 von Otero.0
Hi Frank, thanks for your help.

At the beginning I notice some free room on the axis, but then I tuned the axis and there was no movement on any axis.

The depth I'm using is only 1/2 the diameter, in this case for the 3.175 mm I'm using a depth of 1.5 max.

By outside cut you mean I should run a pocket cut? I'm sure that it will work, but it will take twice the time. I don't believe that it is a solution.

I don't have this problems when I do pocket operation. Only when cutting. I believe that at some depth of the operation the starts to be to narrow and the upper parts of the end mill starting touching the upper edges, what causes the shakes.

Do you cut with a 3 mm end mill depth of 5 mm?

Thanks

Mehr
05 Dez 2017 20:11 #51504 von Otero.0
Hi Peter, that you for your comment,

I almost never leave the machine working alone, and the main reason is to keep cleaning the swarf continuously.

Thanks

Mehr
06 Dez 2017 20:19 #51516 von tenner21
tenner21 antwortete auf Can't cut more them 10 mm
Hello,

maybe its possible, that the portal is not strong enough to lead the endmills without vibrations.
To compensate that problem, you have to "double" or "triple" the machine-desk with a rest of a kitchen-workbench. At my SC840, two of them lower the milling-depth to 60mms, wasteplate included.

Best regards
Maik