file Frage Mind of It's Own!

Mehr
05 Mär 2017 17:24 #45226 von SFDeeJay
Mind of It's Own! wurde erstellt von SFDeeJay
I'm not one to give up easily, now at month 2 with my self-built SC2-600, but am sure growing weary of failure. I was so happy at learning how to baby the UC-100 - all humming smoothly, so back to the project of cutting Tangram shapes from 1/8" acylic colors.
Started executing the GCode perfectly, dust extractor doing just so-so, then the HF500 spindle just ignored the instructions, took off in another direction cutting/ruining already cut pieces. I let it go for a bit more, seemed to correct itself, then repeated the weird direction change. Had to hit reset and give up.
Unsure whether I should attempt to get StepCraft USA to replace the entire SC-100, the UC-100, or both.
(By the way, before someone suspects electric "noise", ALL is well grounded and EACH piece of equipment (computer, controller, air pump, etc. is on separate, surge-protected circuits)
This next should really be in the Software section of the forum, but is closely related:
Has anyone else hit upon a great, open-source program called "CAMotics"? Because of my suspected bad GCode (above), I installed this program to view the toolpaths in graphical real-time. I highly recommend this software tool as a way to check GCode before running UCCNC or Mach3. Because of CAMotics, I'm certain my problem is electronics, not software.
I'll be interested to see what others here say.

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
05 Mär 2017 19:34 #45235 von DocBrown
DocBrown antwortete auf Mind of It's Own!
I would do:

- check if there is a loose cable connection (main-board)
- clean the main-board from dust
- check the parallel interface (good contact to the main-board?)
- check if the UC100 is proper insert to the parallel board
- repeat the G-code without the end-mill above the surface several times

Thanks for the tip with Camotics. I use:
- Grblgru
- here are some videos: Grblgru-Video
- NCCorrector: NC-Corrector

Viele Grüße

Hartmut
V2/420 China 800W wassergekühlt
UCCNC & ARDUINO ESTLCAM Controller
ESTLCAM & QCAD
DK5LH/G11
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: SFDeeJay

Mehr
05 Mär 2017 21:38 - 05 Mär 2017 21:40 #45238 von jvalencia
jvalencia antwortete auf Mind of It's Own!
Put the UCCNC in Offline mode and run the program. You can skip lines to the part where it usually fail.

See if it fails. Check the gcode when it fails.

You don't need a simulator, uccnc can do it.

Stepcraft 2 840
Kress 800 FME
UCCNC + UC100
V-Carve + QCad
Letzte Änderung: 05 Mär 2017 21:40 von jvalencia.

Mehr
05 Mär 2017 23:11 #45240 von SFDeeJay
SFDeeJay antwortete auf Mind of It's Own!
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the usual suspects that you name. I would not have thought such a robust machine would be so sensitive. Going to go back and try both the "no endmill" and offline mode. Also going to test on a soft piece of plywood so the costly acrylic isn't wasted. Also, going to do away with the noisy, powerful Festool dust collector connected to the spindle and build a clear plastic hood (basically a box) and do manual cleanup after cutting. That will eliminate a huge power draw and the vibrations that cannot be good.

Mehr
06 Mär 2017 15:06 #45260 von MMorao
MMorao antwortete auf Mind of It's Own!
Bad idea. Keep the vac cleaner on and buy some ear protectors, that's what I did. Otherwise :
  • it will be a chore vacuuming bloody everywhere where dust goes inside the box after each work session;
  • during work you won't see what the machine is doing due to the dust cloud;
  • you'll have dust going inside your spindle and all mechanical parts;
  • the dust accumulation will be a fine heat insulator meaning that your cutter will never have a chance to cool off between passes and this is essential with acrylic;
  • this dust pile in contact with a overheated cutter is a fine fire hazard.

Sure a vac cleaner is immensely noisy and disturbing. I myself am expecting a dust cyclone, and once I get it I'm going to build myself some sound proofed box exhausting outdoors. Lots of ducting but I need my peace of mind while that vac cleaner does its bit.

Clockwork Orange is a S600 with 4th axis, Kress 1050. Software is UCCNC, DeskProto, Rhino, DraftSight. Also a Silhouette Cameo for vinyl, plastic card, etc.

Mehr
06 Mär 2017 17:37 #45265 von SFDeeJay
MMorao, All of the points you make in keeping the dust collector make sense. Your mention of a cyclone made me re-think the use of the one I have for really dusty shop equipment (table and band saw, drill press, wood turning lathe). Only trouble is, the 4" flexible hose is very heavy, and may not track well with the moving gantry, even when scaled down to a smaller hose. Worth looking into, though, so I thank you.

Mehr
07 Mär 2017 14:12 #45271 von MMorao
I see, but if you manage to find some way to immobilize the end of your 4" suction tube above the machine you can easily make an adapter for a smaller diameter tube. What I have is 32mm, supplied by Stepcraft but it could be any flexible, ribbed tube. I myself made an adapter for this 32mm tube to interface properly with the vac cleaner tube which is 40mm or thereabouts, my problem was that the vac tube was swallowing the machine tube, literally :lol:

Dust evacuation is a necessity indeed, and a cyclone de-duster will help in maintaining your vacc cleaner problem free. The amount of would or plastic or whatever dust this generates is incredible, so I'm obliged to empty the vacc cleaner often and do a complete compressed air blasting of its airways and filters to remove clogging with microscopic dust particles. I hope the cyclone will help with that by removing most of the dust from the airflow.

Clockwork Orange is a S600 with 4th axis, Kress 1050. Software is UCCNC, DeskProto, Rhino, DraftSight. Also a Silhouette Cameo for vinyl, plastic card, etc.

Mehr
07 Mär 2017 17:39 #45276 von SFDeeJay
MMorao: Don't know if you have decided on a "cyclone" type dust collector yet, but as a retired cabinetmaker I have gone through several sizes/types before finding one I really like. It's a Jet Vortex Model DC-1100VX-CK. I hear you on the issue of hose adapters, gone through several of those, too. My fear with this latest configuration is that by the time I go from the 4" end to 2 1/2", then the small 1 1/8", the forceful suction will be a problem. By the way, I was very impressed w/ your 4th axis designs, you are quite the inventor, way beyond my expertise.

Mehr
07 Mär 2017 22:22 #45283 von MMorao
Hi DeeJay, thank you for your kind suggestion but mine should be arriving soon.

www.banggood.com/High-Efficiency-Cyclone-Powder-Dust-Collector-Filter-Top-Quality-For-Vacuums-IA1-p-1028998.html?rmmds=category

This may be too small but I got lazy :)

What expertise, I've been something else entirely most of my life and I came out knowing a thing or two, this machining business is absolutely mew for me, I've got plenty to learn yet! Compared to an experienced cabinet maker who can tell woods apart just by smelling them with closed eyes, my ignorance shines like a beacon! Believe me, I have complete respect for your calling!

Mehr
08 Mär 2017 10:19 - 08 Mär 2017 10:21 #45295 von CNCMiller
CNCMiller antwortete auf Mind of It's Own!
MMorao,

I use the same Chinese cyclone as you ordered and I am satisfied.
for bin I used an old dry/wet vacuum cleaner bin from LIDL. Made a lid from a piece of wood and milled a slot around it to fit over the bin, tape the edge and put some silicone in the slot, then press on bin (due the tape you can remove the lid).

I use a Miele home vacuum cleaner with several vacuum strengths/speeds and this is more than sufficient for the job and the noise is very (low) acceptable.

With some PVC parts from the construction market and the use of a lathe the couplings are made in such way its not permanent.

So good luck with your dust collector

SC 1/420 + Gantry extension, Kress 1050 FME-P, NeJe 20W Laser, WinPC-NC USB v4.00, Vectric Aspire 9, SolidWorks 2021

Dieser Beitrag enthält Bilddateien.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um sie zu sehen.

Letzte Änderung: 08 Mär 2017 10:21 von CNCMiller.

Mehr
08 Mär 2017 19:19 #45304 von SFDeeJay
If I get too nostalgic, I might tear up, but the finest 4 years of my life were as an apprentice cabinetmaker to a crazy old German who wished he had a son to continue his love of woods. By the time I had completed the program (do they still call them "guilds" in Europe?) Disney World in Orlando was showing off some of our wood creations.
Anyway...
We have veered way away from my original post, and that's fine, I have learned a lot and hope others have benefitted, but plan to open a new dialoug to address enclosures, heat buildup, etc. Thanks everyone, especially Mmorao.