file Question Hi From Australia potential buyer questions

• paulv1958
  • paulv1958's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
28 Aug 2016 08:29 #36968 by paulv1958
Hi all I am a first timer CNC user so this will be a whole new experience

Couple of questions linger before I fork out a large sum of money.

1 anyone here purchased in Australia from the Aussie supplier.
2 The US site says that the UCCNC software and the connector/plate are now included stndard in the price, is this true for other countries.
( if not is it worth buying up front for the extra few hundred
3. IS the step craft spindle worth it ? ( I have a Dremel 3000)
4. Anything else worth getting at the time.

Tks in advance, have asked the supplier same questions but waiting on reply but find its good ask a forum of users for non sales answers

Many thks Paul V

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2016 09:52 - 28 Aug 2016 09:56 #36969 by peterg1000
Replied by peterg1000 on topic Hi From Australia potential buyer questions
Hi Paul,

Definitely worth going for UCCNC and UC100 interface in my view. Intuitive and easy to learn and can be customised if you so wish.

Big plus with this route is that the control computer is relieved of all the critical timing issues, so a slow low cost desktop / laptop can be used. I bought a s/h Dell D610 running Win XP prof just to operate the Stepcraft, and this has given excellent service with no problems whatsoever running UCCNC.

Because it only runs UCCNC, many of the standard Windows functions are redundant and can be stopped, greatly reducing the chances of software glitches.

There are plenty of really clued up members on this forum, so help is readily available should you need it.

Peter

SC 420/2, Industrial VFD spindle from StoneyCNC
UC100 + UCCNC
Cut2D, Autosketch10, Draftsight, Eagle 9.5.1

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2016 09:56 by peterg1000. Reason: Additional information

More
28 Aug 2016 10:41 - 28 Aug 2016 10:44 #36973 by DerRoy
Replied by DerRoy on topic Hi From Australia potential buyer questions
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum.
In Germany UCCnC is not standard, here you still get the USB Starter included in the price.
But of course I can't tell you how this is in Australia.

2) The UCCNC works fin, except the CAM part of the software which is a mess in my opinion.
I used EstlCam more or less from the beginning as a CAM Software and in the meantime I replaced UCCNC and the UC100 completely by ESTLCAM and an Arduino Uno as Controller. If you go for this, you can save a lot of money as you just need the parallel version of the Stepcraft. EstlCam just costs 49€. There are a couple of threads here explaining how to connect the Arduino to the parallel port of the Stepcraft. In addition, the support of Christian is excellent.

3) a real spindle is always better than a Dremel or a Proxon. If you have a Dremel You van for Säure Start with it, but I am quite sure you can more or less only mill wood or plastics with a Dremel.
I bought a Kress Spindle together with the machine and I am satisfied so far.

Best regards
Roy

MfG
Roy

SC 600/2; SolidWorks; UCCnC und UC100; EstlCam und Arduino Steuerung; KRESS 800kfme;
Last edit: 28 Aug 2016 10:44 by DerRoy.

• paulv1958
  • paulv1958's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
28 Aug 2016 13:46 #36981 by paulv1958
Replied by paulv1958 on topic Hi From Australia potential buyer questions
Tks Roy & Peter

Appreciate the replies.
I was hope not to fork out for the UCCNC but given what I have heard about the default product that comes with it I'll up spec while I can.

Looking to get the 420 for some ship modeling work and to test the water at the local market for wood products.
I understand this is a hobby machine, my wife likes the cutting options and piro capability. Doubt I will ever need 3d printing, but who knows

All I have to do is further convince she who must approve...

Appreciated.

Paul V