file Frage Steps/unit calibration

Mehr
20 Aug 2016 01:02 #36752 von K3CFPV
Steps/unit calibration wurde erstellt von K3CFPV
I used VCarve Pro to drawn a 2" square (50.8 mm) and profiled it to a depth of 1/4" (6.35mm). I then measure with digital calipers the size and depth of the square. What I ended up with is a width (X) of 2.761" (70.2 mm)and a height (Y) of 2.711" (68.9 mm)and a depth (Z) of 0.2655" (6.67 mm).
I used the Mach2/3 mm postprocessor.

Question is: should I adjust the steps/unit (not sure if unit is inches or mm) proportionately to get the square to come out exactly as designed or is there some other problem?

If I do adjust the steps/unit, the new values calculate out to be:
X - 96.58, Y - 98.36, Z - 125.55

S2/600, Industrial HF spindle (StoneyCNC)
DL445, 4th axis, touch probe, 3D probe
UC100 + UCCNC (Win10)

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
20 Aug 2016 10:11 #36755 von peterg1000
peterg1000 antwortete auf Steps/unit calibration
Assuming you are using a Stepcraft 2, the steps per mm (unit) should be 133.33 on all three axes. You don't say if you are using UCCNC or MACH3/4, if UCCNC look at the "Configuration" page X, Y, Z axis steps per unit settings. From your calculated values they would seem to be correctly set already, so don't change them.

Examine the GCODE to find the co-ordinates being demanded of the router. If you are milling as a pocket, the Vcarve will have compensated for cutter diameter and be milling inside your design outline, and this will be reflected in the co-ordinates of the toolpath.

Selecting a "Profile" tool path rather than "Pocket" in VCarve settings could easily give the errors you have described.

Obviously you did "Home " the machine first and then set the Z axis to zero with the cutter at the at the top of your material when you set the Machine Co-ordinates?

SC 420/2, Industrial VFD spindle from StoneyCNC
UC100 + UCCNC
Cut2D, Autosketch10, Draftsight, Eagle 9.5.1

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.

Mehr
20 Aug 2016 13:58 #36764 von K3CFPV
K3CFPV antwortete auf Steps/unit calibration
Yes, I have a Stepcraft-2/600 and running UCCNC under Win10 on a MacBookPro along with a UC100 USB adapter. The values for steps/unit in the profile were all set to 133.3333 as you indicated.

I examined the gcode for another 100mm square generated by VCarve Pro 8.5 and, while it does compensate for the width of the tool, it is generating a square that is too large. I design in mm and use the Mach2/3 Arcs (mm) postprocessor.

I have a Replicator 2X 3D printer and we change the parameters for steps/inch to get the correct extrude length. I new to this aspect of CNC and assumed that the steps/unit could be modified also, but evidently not. Any ideas on why the postprocessor isn't generating the correct toolpaths?

S2/600, Industrial HF spindle (StoneyCNC)
DL445, 4th axis, touch probe, 3D probe
UC100 + UCCNC (Win10)

Mehr
20 Aug 2016 16:55 #36775 von peterg1000
peterg1000 antwortete auf Steps/unit calibration
So you are confirming that the Stepcraft executes the GCODE correctly, and that the design in VCarve is correct?

That being so it would appear that the post-processing is at the root of the problem. I can't offer any sensible comment on that except to say that I use the Mach2/3(mm) in Cut2d and all my parts are correctly dimensioned to better than 0.002" as far as I can tell on my digital calipers.

Maybe there is some subtle parameter in VCarve that is messing things up for you?

SC 420/2, Industrial VFD spindle from StoneyCNC
UC100 + UCCNC
Cut2D, Autosketch10, Draftsight, Eagle 9.5.1

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.

Mehr
30 Aug 2016 19:25 #37047 von Rory
Rory antwortete auf Steps/unit calibration
The pitch of the screws is the pitch of the screws. 133.333 is correct.

you can't adjust the steps per unit based on measured dimensions like this - especially a square as a square induces the backlash values in X and Y. This a way to calibrate a CNC - but not in this case - for calibration you need to be going in a direction + stop... then continue in the direction + calibrate. this means you don't expose the calibrated value to drive backlash. the dimensions are most likely caused by backlash. this would be the best place to start.