file Frage Milling Foam PVC (e.g. Foamex, Sintra)

Mehr
23 Aug 2016 14:00 - 23 Aug 2016 14:02 #36817 von Evan
Milling Foam PVC (e.g. Foamex, Sintra) wurde erstellt von Evan
Hi,

Looking to mill foam PVC (trading names Palight, Foamex, Foamalux, Sintra etc). I have attached the recommended milling conditions from three manufacturers but having difficulty transferring this info for the V-Carve setting. For example, if I'm correct, the recommended feed rate would be 45mm/sec which I believe is reaching the extent of the stepcraft speed and 3000fpm is crazy rpm for a 3mm cutter. Some help calculating initial rpm and feed rate would be great and any advice on this material. Thanks.

Dieser Beitrag enthält einen Bildanhang.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um ihn zu sehen.

Letzte Änderung: 23 Aug 2016 14:02 von Evan.

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
23 Aug 2016 18:10 - 23 Aug 2016 18:57 #36825 von Worldhusky
Worldhusky antwortete auf Milling Foam PVC (e.g. Foamex, Sintra)

Evan schrieb: For example, if I'm correct, the recommended feed rate would be 45mm/sec ...

Without diving to deep into this topic - we are talking about: Feed rate 8" - 20"/min ?
If yes - I assume we are closer to 3,39 mm/sec - 8,47 mm/sec. What do you think?

Edit: and ... ;)
3000fpm = 15.24 m/s or 15240 mm/s

It's not only about tools it's also about skills! ;)
Letzte Änderung: 23 Aug 2016 18:57 von Worldhusky.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Evan

Mehr
23 Aug 2016 22:06 - 23 Aug 2016 22:10 #36832 von Evan
Hi Worldhusky,

I know I'm new but I'm not beyond converting units ;) well I hope so.

Its the combination of feed and speed that gives me a good cut, correct me if I'm wrong, slow feed with a high rpm results in excessive heat and low rpm with high feed may result in breakages.

Where I have a feed rate of say 10in/min or 4.2mm/s, it is the recommended cutting speed of 3000fpm that has me confused. From what I can see converting a 3000fpm cutting speed to rpm results in roughly 97000 rpm for a 3mm cutter.

www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing/cutting-speeds-feeds.htm

Can't see the wood for the trees so a second set of eyes would be great.
Letzte Änderung: 23 Aug 2016 22:10 von Evan.

Mehr
24 Aug 2016 11:43 #36844 von Evan
Done a bit more research on this, searching for info on Sintra yields more info, seems Sintra is the main trade name in the US. I found a good reference point from which to start based on info from this webpage.

www.camheads.org/archive/index.php/t-914.html

onsrud 1/16" upspiral @ 18000-19000rpm 80ipm
or 1/8" upspiral onsrud @ 15000rpm 90ipm
or 3/16" upspiral @ 18000rpm 135ipm

From what I can tell, taking from a few sites, you can run pretty fast feed rates because the material doesn't
really chip or else the chips are really really fine. Going to give it a go.

Other reference sites:
forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18284
www.signs101.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-112369.html

Mehr
26 Aug 2016 15:23 #36931 von Evan
Cut out a few parts today, very pleased with how it turned out. Ran the cycle with 16,500rpm (4 on Kress) @ 8 mm/s using a 3mm downcut in 1.2mm depth/step. Might experiment next time with 10 mm/s and little faster on the plunge rate.

Using the foam PVC to make an insert for an Ikea Ribba shadow box. Just need to remove the film and glue in place :)

Dieser Beitrag enthält Bilddateien.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um sie zu sehen.

Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Worldhusky, DocBrown