file Frage HI! FUTURE USER NEED HELP

• karibeanbongos
  • karibeanbongoss Avatar Autor
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
29 Dez 2016 23:03 - 29 Dez 2016 23:18 #41486 von karibeanbongos
HI! FUTURE USER NEED HELP wurde erstellt von karibeanbongos
Hi!I'm seriously thinking to buy a SC 2 840, but I wanna be sure to buy also the right tools.
I begin saying that I have no experience with cnc machines, but for some time i worked with a plotter to cut films so i have some knowledge with Illustrator and vector design.
I will need the machine, to mill pcb boards, cut and carve wood for cabinets but also acoustic percusions, so hard wood may be involved and......eventually aluminium in the max. range of 2 / 2,5 mm
I'm also interested in 3d printing but not for now....

Do I need the HF Spindle 500 ??
wich interface would fit my use?
software?
I'm a Mac user but I can probably run a Windows emulator....
Letzte Änderung: 29 Dez 2016 23:18 von karibeanbongos.

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
30 Dez 2016 13:12 #41510 von DocBrown
DocBrown antwortete auf HI! FUTURE USER NEED HELP
Can tell you only my experience. I was also a beginner end of 2015.

My spindle is a China type but this is only for those who like to experiment and have knowledge about electronics...

So my proposal is if you don´t want to use the HF500 is buying a KRESS 800. This machine is robust and powerful. The negative things are...you need special collets from Kress and the machine is very loud.

My CNC SW is UCCNC (with UC100 dongle) primary and therefore the Stepcraft parallel board (adapter) is needed. This UC100 and the parallel board will also work with MACH3 CNC and ESTLCAM (used as CNC driver).

I always start my project with "QCAD" as CAD SW (MAC and Win version are avaialabe). It is easy to learn and for free with some limitations. I bought the full version including the tutorial. The tut takes me 4 evenings and after that I was able to understand and use 80% of the functions of this CAD SW.

My CAM SW is ESTLCAM. This SW is primary in German but it needes just some clicks and it`s changed to English. The SW is basically for free but after some time using it will start slowly so finally I bought it. Great support and permanently under development with new features.

So my proposal is to download QCAD and ESTLCAM and play a little bit with them Regarding ESTLCAM there are some youtube videos availabe...

Viele Grüße

Hartmut
V2/420 China 800W wassergekühlt
UCCNC & ARDUINO ESTLCAM Controller
ESTLCAM & QCAD
DK5LH/G11

Mehr
30 Dez 2016 16:33 - 30 Dez 2016 16:35 #41517 von Doug
Doug antwortete auf HI! FUTURE USER NEED HELP
I would strongly recommend avoiding the Stepcraft HF series spindle outfits because they are considerably more expensive than a Kress unit, have more associated equipment (large separate control unit and an aquarium air pump for air blanketing) and the control unit does not have any user resettable thermal overload or overcurrent protection like the Kress.

I have just sent mine back for the second and last time (costing around £30 for return to base shipping each time) and will be getting a Kress 1050 and refund of the difference in cost.

See a summary of the issues I have experienced on this thread:

http://www.stepcraft-systems.com/en/forum/milling/3455-hints-for-drilling#41191

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net
Letzte Änderung: 30 Dez 2016 16:35 von Doug.

• karibeanbongos
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
02 Jan 2017 14:51 #41746 von karibeanbongos
karibeanbongos antwortete auf HI! FUTURE USER NEED HELP
So I should skip the HF spindle....well that's not bad so at least I can save some money directly ;) .
.....and whar about comparison with Proxxon, Dremel & Kress?? Still the last one the best choice?
I will probably use the SC for PCB boards and wood
and in case my choice goes on the Kress, I saw only 2 versions available in the store: US & EN....I'm located in Germany, wich one shound I buy?
Are everybody buying all the tools directly from Stepcraft or there are better solutions(apart for SC itself)??

• karibeanbongos
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
02 Jan 2017 17:56 #41752 von karibeanbongos
and last....wich kind of interface would fit my needs? usb, parallel or UCCNC??

Mehr
02 Jan 2017 18:40 #41758 von CNCMiller
CNCMiller antwortete auf HI! FUTURE USER NEED HELP
Hi Karib.....

look at SOROTEC.DE they sell a lot different tools for CNC and well in price
and if you want to try and think to break a lot of end-mills buy one set on ALIEXPRESS for a few euro, learn yourself how it works and than trow them away and use the good ones for the real job.

If you intent not to cut deep in wood and the most work you do is PCB and or carbon/Plexiglas and sheet-plate woods a Proxxon IBS/E is sufficient for the job.
I use a proxxon myself and with the right maintenance it works perfect.

SC 1/420 + Gantry extension, Kress 1050 FME-P, NeJe 20W Laser, WinPC-NC USB v4.00, Vectric Aspire 9, SolidWorks 2021

• karibeanbongos
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
05 Jan 2017 00:53 #41892 von karibeanbongos
well for wood i thought max 2cm deep, but it could involve padouk, wallnutt and other hard woods good for percussions. A proxxon ibs/e is not a big investment and i see is used also in the video tutorial.
What about the interface?
Sorotec has only parallel or usb version wich one could be a good starting point?

Mehr
05 Jan 2017 09:55 #41896 von CNCMiller
kari.....,

A proxxon will do the job only your feed-rate and cutting depth are less than when you use a Kress or HF 500, so it takes a little longer to finish.
and the deep depends on the endmill you use on a proxxon the max cutting dept is around 2 cm but be carefull not break or put to much stress on the bit.

the interface depends partially on what type of computer you using. A laptop has no parallel port on board so then you choice is USB. Also the cables are slimmer in USB version.
I use USB and am very satisfied with my choice.

But if you want to make your own interface with Arduino and other components parallel would be easier to connect.
So its up to you.

SC 1/420 + Gantry extension, Kress 1050 FME-P, NeJe 20W Laser, WinPC-NC USB v4.00, Vectric Aspire 9, SolidWorks 2021
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: karibeanbongos

Mehr
08 Jan 2017 17:29 - 08 Jan 2017 17:31 #42215 von CNCMiller
Something I forget to mention.

If you intend to use Stepcrafts WINPC-NC witch is included (the starter version), then I suggest to upgrade it to the full version.
Once you try out your machine you will notice that you want more from the starter software than it offers and that will frustrate you. I know I have been there. This software is in USB version.

If you want to use UCCNC than your get a dongle witch use a parallel interface.
I have no knowledge of this program, it wasn't available when I bought my machine and I will not change because the costs a quite high to change now.

If you think of buying a proxxon ibs/e then I suggest to look at the switchable socket SWS 1200. This is an extra safety so that the spindel is switched on only on during the job and will not run accidentally when changing the toolbit. And/or you can also get your vacuum-cleaner connect with it.

Letzte Änderung: 08 Jan 2017 17:31 von CNCMiller.

Mehr
08 Jan 2017 20:24 #42235 von Stuart Mellor
Stuart Mellor antwortete auf HI! FUTURE USER NEED HELP
I have never regretted buying the full usb software. Its excellent & includes tool offset compensation.

Re spindle -I started with the Proxxon -but the bearings soon failed. I now have a dremel from B & Q which is much better & more powerful.

By all means buy the software controlled spindle switch. If you don't you will forget to switch on & break tools!