lightbulb Frage Windows 7 or Windows XP?

Mehr
20 Aug 2014 23:40 - 20 Aug 2014 23:53 #7463 von neil_paul
Windows 7 or Windows XP? wurde erstellt von neil_paul
Hello All

I'm considering buy one of these machines, probably a SC420, and I have two computers available that I could use with the machine, one installed with Win 7 and the other with Win XP. I'm just curious as to which would be best to use or is there no difference? Both machines meet the system requirements although the Win XP is the older of the two computers and is less powerful in terms of its memory and CPU speed. I would welcome any opinions from forum members on this question.

Sorry but I don't read/speak German (been using Google to translate posts in the forum!) so I would greatly appreciate English language replies.

Thank you

Neil
Letzte Änderung: 20 Aug 2014 23:53 von neil_paul. Grund: Spelling mistake

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

• MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Zu viele Ideen und zu wenig Zeit
Mehr
21 Aug 2014 21:13 #7481 von MagIO2
MagIO2 antwortete auf Windows 7 or Windows XP?
It propably also depends on the software-toolchain you plan to use.

If you have plans to buy the USB board together with WinPC NC there is no problem to use the old PC, because the only thing that has to be done by the SW (PC) is to send the file to the USB board which contains a mikrocontroller and takes over controlling the steppers.
This should be true for any solution which involves an external controller.

I run my Stepcraft with a Netbook and there is absolutely no problem even if I have the whole toolchain (LibreCAD, EstlCAM, WinPC) plus browser running while running a job.

If you plan to use Mach3 and the parallel interface it might look different, because here the PC is controlling the steppers and deviations in the timing affect accuracy.

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: neil_paul

• Mogul
  • Moguls Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • MF70 CNC und SC-1/416 ;-) mit Mach3
Mehr
22 Aug 2014 10:36 #7490 von Mogul
Mogul antwortete auf Windows 7 or Windows XP?
Hallo Neil,
I use a older XP-PC (Esprimo P4) with mach3 solo for the SC (parallel).
For CAD, CAM and oher programs I use a second machine with Win7 at a diferent location and I transport only the milling-data with USB stick to the milling-PC.

Gruß
Helmut
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: neil_paul

Mehr
23 Aug 2014 00:02 #7498 von neil_paul
neil_paul antwortete auf Windows 7 or Windows XP?
Thanks for the advice.

I do plan to purchase the full version of the USB board with the SC, this does look like the best solution for inputing Gcode programs into the SC. Also occurs to me that it might be a good idea to keep the more expensive of the two computers well away from the SC machine to prevent damage from dust and swarf!

Best Regards

Neil