Suche
Lieber Nutzer, die Forumssoftware wurde aktualisiert. Für die Erstanmeldung musst Du bitte dein Passwort zurücksetzen.
Dear user, the forum software has been updated. For the first login please reset your password.
No doubt, skip WinP...

Benachrichtigungen
Alles löschen

No doubt, skip WinPC-NC upgrade, go for UCCNC

10 Beiträge
6 Benutzer
0 Likes
11.2 K Ansichten
(@srutgers)
Themenstarter

Hi Guys,

first of all, I have no affiliation with the makers of UCCNC, and have paid for both the UC100 and the software package.

I bought the Stepcraft 600 and immediately ran into the "problems" you get delivered with it when trying the ultra-ultra-light version of the WinPC-NC software that comes with it. Knowing that I'll upgrade to a bigger machine in the future I wanted to learn my way around software packages that I know I'll be able to use in the future, no matter what brand of machine I buy, and no matter which computer I want to use. Looking and surfing around I ran into the UC-100 controller and the UCCNC software package and decided to give it a try. And to cut a long story short: I am very pleased and can heartily advise everybody who is looking for a software upgrade to make the same choice.

Special thanks go out to Rory from StoneyCNC in the UK, who helped me without asking anything for it, and I hadn't even bought the controller and the software at his website. Compliments and thanks again Rory!

regards,

Sander

Veröffentlicht : 27/02/2015 1:40 pm
(@jubin)

Agreed,
I had the same logic. Jumped using a software stack on linux with open hardware.
I am currently using an arduino with a grbl shield.
Going to validate arduino Mega with Ramps 1.4

Veröffentlicht : 27/02/2015 5:23 pm
(@frankjoke)
Reputable Member

I was also thinking about it but went to Mach3 because there was no way to test UCCNC with the machine.

As long you don't buy the license it is only in demo mode and you cannot really see how different things work with your machine (homing, zero of Z or tool length, ...).

All those things are critical to me and therefore I wen to Mach3.

If UCCNC would allow to control machine but have only 300 lines of code (like Mach3) it would be great to test (and not too expensife to buy becuase with controller it's cheaper than WinPC USB which I exchanged for Mach3).

Frank
Steppcraft 600/2 + HF500 + SwitchBox + Laser + Schleppmesser
Absaugung und Vakuumtisch
an Mach3 oder UCCNC mit Taster für Z-Null und Werkzeuglänge

Veröffentlicht : 27/02/2015 11:49 pm
(@firefly)
Eminent Member

Agreed,
I had the same logic. Jumped using a software stack on linux with open hardware.
I am currently using an arduino with a grbl shield.
Going to validate arduino Mega with Ramps 1.4

Interesting! I would like to know more how this goes.

Stepcraft 600 v2 w/UC100 and UCCNC, Dremel, Cut2d, QCAD

Veröffentlicht : 25/03/2015 5:47 am
(@firefly)
Eminent Member

I am looking to buy the StepCraft in the USA, it comes with WinPC-NC and USB module.
my question is the USB module really only works only with WinPC? is it really useless?
I am trying to decide if I should ask them to remove it to put credit toward the Parallel-Module which is extra, I need the Parallel-Module for the UC100?

Veröffentlicht : 26/03/2015 3:58 pm
Andreas
(@magio2)
Famed Member

Actually UC100 is doing the same thing than the SC USB module. It is a motion controller. UC100 is connected to the PC via USB and to the CNC machine with a parallel Interface compatible connector.

And YES, the SC USB module is a dongle for WinPC software. It is using some propriatary protocol and you could at best reuse it via reverse engeneering, if at all. So, WinPC software is worthless without the USB module and vice versa.

With a parallel board you can directly connect to a PC which has a LPT port and run LinuxCNC or Mach3 or UCCNC. If you only have USB ports on your PC you additionally need something like the UC100 or an Arduino running GRBL for example. An often used combination here in germany is the Arduino together with EstlCAM.

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas

Veröffentlicht : 26/03/2015 4:17 pm
(@bvs)
Noble Member

Big hello From europe 🙂
I have pcnc full usb and it works fine without any problems.
Pcnc full is a fine way to start but the pcnc Starter is only for plotters 😆

Veröffentlicht : 26/03/2015 4:46 pm
(@firefly)
Eminent Member

With a parallel board you can directly connect to a PC which has a LPT port and run LinuxCNC or Mach3 or UCCNC. If you only have USB ports on your PC you additionally need something like the UC100 or an Arduino running GRBL for example. An often used combination here in germany is the Arduino together with EstlCAM.

Great information, thank you!
I do have a desktop with a Parallel port, so I guess I can start using UCCNC with it right away. but I will need the USB if I want to use my notebook. So is the UC100 just a Parallel to USB convertor or is there something special about the UC100?

Thanks again!

Veröffentlicht : 26/03/2015 5:36 pm
Andreas
(@magio2)
Famed Member

Again, the UC100 is a motion controller. This means that the PC sends the g-code to the controller (USB side) and the motion controller produces the step/direction signals for the stepper-drivers (parallel Port of UC100).

When using a PC with a LPT interface, the motion control is done by LinuxCNC/Mach3/... itself.

Just to point it out clearly, neither of these USB solutions is a pure USB to parallel converter. They really generate the signals on their parallel side with a very exact timing. Pure USB to LPT converters also exist, but they usually have problems to generate the signals with the needed accuracy.

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas

Veröffentlicht : 26/03/2015 8:34 pm
(@firefly)
Eminent Member

ah ok, makes sense.

Also, I just found out they just got a shipment of UC100 and will be able to ship it with the Stepcraft.

Veröffentlicht : 27/03/2015 4:33 am
Teilen: