file Frage HF Spindle controller no longer working

Mehr
10 Nov 2017 18:20 #51144 von CT63
HF Spindle controller no longer working wurde erstellt von CT63
Hi folks,

Need some help. Having just bought my new S2 600, I have been working on my first project (a box). I successfully dimensioned my first piece of maple to 15mm thick then (successfully) performed a 10mm rebate down one side, all with the HD spindle 500. I was performing the final profile cut when the bit jammed in the wood. To be clear I was using a 6mm end mill and only cutting 1mm deep at a time as I deliberately did not want to overwork the spindle or the bit. However halfway through the profile cutout (approx 8mm deep out of 15mm) the x axis drive suddenly jammed in the wood for what appears to be no reason (the bit was still spinning). The UCCNC still carried on thinking the x axis was moving. When the cut out called for a 90degree corner, because the x axis had already stuck midway along, the bit then tried to perform the 90degree cut straight into about 8mm of maple. I hit the emergency button (all this happened in the space of about 3 seconds). Once everything stopped I managed to raise the spindle out of the wood and reset Home All so I could see the damage to the wood.

That's when I noticed the issue I need help with. The spindle motor controller no longer turns on - the % display on the front has died (black screen) and will not come on. I flicked the power on and off and ensure all switches were on. Power had not been tripped at the consumer unit. Has the spindle motor died because of the jam in the wood? has the spindle motor controller itself died because of the jam in the wood? Could it be a fried fuse in the plug (which appears to be sealed so no immediate access inside the plug)? This is my first CNC project, first time with CNC and am deeply upset that this has happened. Again, I am sure I was not stressing the tools as I was only removing 1mm at a time with a 6mm bit. I did not hit any nails, screws or clamps - just wood. Can anyone help and tell me what I need to do to fix it.

Thanks
Craig

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
02 Jan 2018 20:20 - 02 Jan 2018 20:21 #51989 von Doug
Hi Craig.

You might have already dealt with this issue but I did the same thing with two Stepcraft HF500 spindles! The reason is that the HF500 spindle controller didn't have any thermal or current overload cut out protection which is quite astonishing for such an expensive piece of equipment. It might have been modified since but I note that your original post is about a year after I was having my problems, it doesn't seem like it.

I finally was offered a replacement small industrial quality HF spindle by Rory of StoneyCNC as a good will gesture which has been 100% reliable and excellent. Please see some of the following threads for reference:

https://www.stepcraft-systems.com/en/forum/accessories/4052-hf350-making-unpleasant-noises#43661

https://www.stepcraft-systems.com/en/forum/accessories/4125-industrial-quality-small-hf-spindle-from-stoneycnc#44194

https://www.stepcraft-systems.com/en/forum/assembly-and-maintenance/4180-check-your-hf-spindles#45575

https://www.stepcraft-systems.com/en/forum/accessories/4389-industrial-quality-vfd-spindle-from-stoneycnc#47258

Regards.

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net
Letzte Änderung: 02 Jan 2018 20:21 von Doug.

Mehr
03 Jan 2018 13:44 #51997 von CT63
Hi Doug,

Thanks for your reply. I ended up sending both the controller and the HF spindle back to Stepcraft in Germany. Both came back after about 10 days and both appear (so far) to be working fine. There was no paperwork attached to the return so I have no idea what was actually wrong and what was done to fix it. There was still some light dust on them when I opened the pack up so I it appears neither was replaced but I have no details on the repair work. That aside. so far everything is working fine. While the parts were away I further refined tuning of the axes as it was impressed on me that the axes when newly built can take a bit of time to bed in.

Regards
Craig
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Doug

Mehr
05 Jan 2018 13:38 #52035 von Doug
Hi Craig.

I am glad that Stepcraft repaired your HF500 spindle under warranty but they should have detailed what was wrong and what they did to fix it. Not disclosing that to the customer is at best unhelpful and at worst, masking a design defect that doesn't appear to have been addressed (yet), i.e. lack of a full thermal overload/overcurrent electronics protection suite which I am assured that the StoneyCNC small industrial HF spindle with Delta brand control unit has in place.

If you are unfortunate enough to replicate the circumstances that caused the original fault, you will more than likely get the same result.

Doug

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net

Mehr
27 Jun 2020 10:26 #59232 von WMorton
Hi All,

I had exactly the same issue. I got my HF 500 second hand so not much chance of warranty in my case. So I set about repairing it myself. Very straight forward to do and I also added a few layers of protection to stop this happening again. I detailed everything in a post on my website:

https://mechape.co.uk/stepcraft-hf-spindle-500w/

If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch via the website or here on the forum. I hope this helps someone out there!

Cheers,
Wayne
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: popa.andrei.g