Suche
Lieber Nutzer, die Forumssoftware wurde aktualisiert. Für die Erstanmeldung musst Du bitte dein Passwort zurücksetzen.
Dear user, the forum software has been updated. For the first login please reset your password.
Newbie: Stepcraft f...

Benachrichtigungen
Alles löschen

Newbie: Stepcraft for carving a plastic box?

20 Beiträge
4 Benutzer
0 Likes
5,012 Ansichten
(@rory)
Reputable Member

No question is a stupid question.

Yes - he does super nice work there in the Aluminium - but the process has to perfect. He uses some coolant to help with the ali cutting. His cutter choice has to be excellent and his machine parameters too.

I would be happier to try 10mm ali plate with a proxxon. Than 50mm deep in anything with the HF spindle. His is also at the top end of the envelope and does a super nice job. I would consider this Advanced CNC work and no-one should attempt this sort of work untill they are very experienced with their SC machine.

Watch this video for 50mm deep cutting with 100€ tool If someone can manage to get stable results from a SC to this depth I would very much like to see it.

Agree - 3D printing may not be best way to do. depends what your final output requirement is.

Yup 2D and assemble.

Veröffentlicht : 19/11/2014 3:17 pm
Giulio Buccini
(@julius)
Reputable Member
Themenstarter

Rory, looking at the result of the french guy, do you think there is some chance of machining 25mm of PVC using a good quality and rigid cutting tool?
(I plan to divide my box in 2 parts: the upper and the lower part, both with height of 25mm)

SC300 + Spindle HF500 + Portalerhöhung + LinuxCNC + gsimple

Veröffentlicht : 20/11/2014 2:12 am
Andreas
(@magio2)
Famed Member

Here are my 2 cents again 😉

I think best way is to have the pieces well prepared. Meaning that the outer dimensions should already be perfect. So, I'd order the parts in size 50 x 50 x X.

The upper part is no big deal, as it's like a ring you can mill from both sides. (Using top brackets should give you the accuracy you need for that)

The problematic thing is the bottom part. If you divide this in 2 pieces it is easy again. One flat bottom part and a ring, which can also be milled from both sides. Of course then you'd need the same kind of sealing as for the plexiglas to make it waterproof.

If you want to have it in a single piece I would prefere to plan the piece in a way that it has a step. (Upper part of the wall is 2mm, lower part of the wall is for example 10mm). Mill ~10mm deep as in your drawing and mill another ~10mm deep but with a smaller outline boundary allowing the tool-holder to work in the area cut away in the first step.

(Hope it is somehow clear what I mean)
This might require to change the shape of the PCB or change the XY-size of the box.

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas

Veröffentlicht : 20/11/2014 8:41 am
Giulio Buccini
(@julius)
Reputable Member
Themenstarter

Here are my 2 cents again 😉

I think that I've got perfectly your ideas MagIO2.... mmmmh... sehr interessant... I have to think about it.
Thanks! 😉

Veröffentlicht : 20/11/2014 1:53 pm
Giulio Buccini
(@julius)
Reputable Member
Themenstarter

We can cut this for you.

You have a PM

Veröffentlicht : 20/11/2014 7:59 pm
Seite 2 / 2