question-circle Frage Fire extinguisher?

Mehr
03 Okt 2016 11:23 #37933 von julius
Fire extinguisher? wurde erstellt von julius
Some times a thought arises to: "it would be better to have a small extinguisher close to me, what if something happens?"
But I'm lazy... so I always archive that thoughts in a remote corner of my mind.

Somebody has a fire extinguisher close to the machine? What type you have? Powder? Foam?

In Germany there is no specific class for fire on electrical equipment. But I suppose that a powder extinguisher should be fine. I'm right?

Dieses Bild ist für Gäste verborgen.
Bitte anmelden oder registrieren um das Bild zu sehen.

SC300 + Spindle HF500 + Portalerhöhung + LinuxCNC + gsimple

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

• Sickone4
  • Sickone4s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • staatl. gepr. Automatisierungstechniker
Mehr
03 Okt 2016 12:41 #37942 von Sickone4
Sickone4 antwortete auf Fire extinguisher?
in case you know - fireman sam? if not children do.
in case you dont know what burns you´ll always right with sand.
unfortunately there is no beach next to my cnc and the sandbox of my boy has already closed this year.

long story short. no i dont have one next to the machine.
if it burns on the eletrics underneath the machine table it might be kinda hard to extinct the flames.

Gruß
Sven

Seit vierundsechzig Minuten sitzt Peter schon an einem runden Tisch in einem Besprechungszimmer und wartet. Er ist exakt vierundsechzig Minuten schlechter gelaunt als vor vierundsechzig Minuten,

SC600/I - HF500 - WinPC-NC USB + Handrad
ESTLCam - CorelDRAW X7 - Cut3D - SketchUp -...

Mehr
03 Okt 2016 13:01 - 03 Okt 2016 13:02 #37944 von DocBrown
DocBrown antwortete auf Fire extinguisher?
Have a look here: Feuerlöscher

Sorry, in German.

Summerization:
- Pulver (Powder...): good for hobby-room but everything is coated with the powder and I don't know if you really can clean everything or if everything is trash after that...
- CO2: it is gas and therefore no remains, but dangerous since it will replace oxygen...
- I think water and foam extinguisher are not the best choice (paper, wood, liquids)

I have a powder-extinguisher (ABC) but not in the hobby-room in my cellar, one floor above in my flat.
It will be used for self-protection, not for protection of my machine, electric stuff etc...

Viele Grüße

Hartmut
V2/420 China 800W wassergekühlt
UCCNC & ARDUINO ESTLCAM Controller
ESTLCAM & QCAD
DK5LH/G11
Letzte Änderung: 03 Okt 2016 13:02 von DocBrown.

Mehr
03 Okt 2016 18:32 #37968 von julius
julius antwortete auf Fire extinguisher?
Thank you for the link DocBrown, it's very instructive.

My "Hobby-raum" is located in a building with one big fire-extinguisher at any floor (but I've never checked the type of it). But I wouldn't fire to a little bird with a cannon.

More than this, I think time factor is critical in this cases. You have to run in the corridor, pick up the fire-extinguisher and return back. It would be better to have something close to you in such cases.

If the electronic components gets damaged by the powder is not so important in my opinion. Most important is that you avoid big damages to the building and/or persons. I have a personal assurance but... you know... assurance companies always search for a reason to not pay.

SC300 + Spindle HF500 + Portalerhöhung + LinuxCNC + gsimple

Mehr
08 Okt 2016 21:53 #38097 von tikka
tikka antwortete auf Fire extinguisher?
I have a small 1kg ABC powder extinguisher (same as usually required for a car) in my hobby room and a large household ABC powder extinguisher in a room next to it. The smaller one doesn`t have a hose and it needs to be checked every year as opposed to the large one that needs to be checked every other year. The hobby room also has a fire blanket and a smoke alarm (part of a centralized system).

CO2 could also create cold burns if mishandled.

Stepcraft 600SF (version 1) parallel port
Proxxon IBS/E
Mach3
devCad Cam Pro; devWing Cam; devFus Cam; Profili Pro 2

Mehr
09 Okt 2016 22:50 - 09 Okt 2016 22:50 #38118 von Dirk
Dirk antwortete auf Fire extinguisher?
Hello,
I use a CO² extinguisher, because it's not all waste, if you have to use it ;).
Feuerlöscher 2kg CO2 Kohlendioxid EDV geeignet DIN EN 3

Dieses Bild ist für Gäste verborgen.
Bitte anmelden oder registrieren um das Bild zu sehen.

Regards,

Dirk

Umstieg von Stepcraft 420 V1 auf Karla mit Mach3 & UC-100
Software: EstlCAM & QCAD
Schwerpunkt: Flugzeugmodellbau
Letzte Änderung: 09 Okt 2016 22:50 von Dirk.

Mehr
14 Okt 2016 18:30 #38274 von Huff
Huff antwortete auf Fire extinguisher?
My little workshop has both CO2 and Foam extinguishers positioned by the door, so that any fire can be fought with the exit behind me - always sensible in case the fire/smoke is more than you/the extinguishers can handle. For the same reasons, potential fuels for the fire are as far as possible kept away from the door area, in my case 5L acetone. The extinguishers are both large. A fire-blanket is also available.

Mehr
11 Nov 2016 12:08 #39331 von MMorao
MMorao antwortete auf Fire extinguisher?
Julius, it's always better to have an Oktoberfest than a Feuerfest, but if you want one make it a big one then :woohoo:

Let's see... First of all, keep any combustible materials away from your Clockwork Orange or any electrical equipment.

Keep the area clean, the vacuum cleaner attachment to the spindle works very well but after a work session a good vac is a necessity as fine wood or plastics dust etc are easily combustible, and the spindle attachment does not catch all.

Have a master switch by the door, if you have a fire you won't need electrical light to see it :P and if the cause is electrical then half of the problem gets solved.

I have a few large ABC Powder extinguishers around the workshop as I was obliged to, but I added a number of 1 kg CO2 ones on my own initiative. Per experience powder is very effective in putting down a fire but the amount of dust is staggering and even after a thorough clean you're guaranteed to have powder falling on you for months!

Oh, and keep your extinguisher(s) inspected at the appointed times.

Clockwork Orange is a S600 with 4th axis, Kress 1050. Software is UCCNC, DeskProto, Rhino, DraftSight. Also a Silhouette Cameo for vinyl, plastic card, etc.

Mehr
12 Nov 2016 10:30 - 12 Nov 2016 10:34 #39357 von CNCMiller
CNCMiller antwortete auf Fire extinguisher?
Julius,

It is always a good thing if you think about the worse.
But I like to place some facts about fire extinguishers.

Powder (ABC) fire's: (which are A-solid materials, B-liquid fuels, C- Gas)
Pro's: relatively cheap
easy to use

Cons: A lot of collateral damage
need at least 2kg for effect
agressive against electrical components
don't clean afterwards with water, can make you sick
need a yearly check on pressure and clotting of powder

CO2 :(B type and electrical)
Pro's: Save for electric fire
Very little collateral damage
Moderate pricing

Cons: be alert the CO is minus 270 degree when leaving the nozzle
not very useful in fires with combined materials
need a yearly check on pressure
Low cooling effect on solid materials on fire

Foam :(AB type)
Pro's: All round useable
Save to use in electrical environment
No collateral damage
Foam needs no check-up (just pressure)
High cooling effect

Cons: More expensive
Need at least 2kg, prefer more

Due to the air in the foam you can use it on electrical equipment the foam will not conduct current. And when a fire starts due to to short-circuit yous fuse will be out by than.

My preference is the foam extinguisher multi usable and all round deployable.
Hope to be of some contribution for your decision.

But the best way is to work clean and save like MMorao said.

SC 1/420 + Gantry extension, Kress 1050 FME-P, NeJe 20W Laser, WinPC-NC USB v4.00, Vectric Aspire 9, SolidWorks 2021
Letzte Änderung: 12 Nov 2016 10:34 von CNCMiller.

Mehr
13 Dez 2016 23:43 #40613 von jonalm
jonalm antwortete auf Fire extinguisher?
I have a 1kg small dry powder extinguisher next to my stepcraft as well as a 3d printer, its better to something rather than nothing for peace of mind.

Dieser Beitrag enthält einen Bildanhang.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um ihn zu sehen.

Mehr
16 Dez 2016 18:03 #40778 von MMorao
That's a good idea but honestly, if I were you I'd add a small CO2 extinguisher as 1st line defence. If this fails then go for the powder. You don't want to know what a powder extinguisher does and where it gets into! It takes months till you get rid of the last of the damned thing!

Clockwork Orange is a S600 with 4th axis, Kress 1050. Software is UCCNC, DeskProto, Rhino, DraftSight. Also a Silhouette Cameo for vinyl, plastic card, etc.

Mehr
04 Jan 2017 20:05 #41882 von MMorao
My apologies for the commercial content, but I found this article interesting.

blog.cnccookbook.com/2014/11/19/survive-first-cnc-router-fire/