file Frage Stepcraft 600 4th axis problem

• screamer2703
  • screamer2703s Avatar Autor
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
06 Jun 2014 14:40 #5816 von screamer2703
Stepcraft 600 4th axis problem wurde erstellt von screamer2703
We recently bought the WinPC-NC USB version for the software so that we can use the 4th axis purchased with the machine.

When connecting the 4th axis, the CNC becomes unresponsive.

There are two different situations:

1. - 3 axes (the 4th axis is disconnected) - start WinPC-NC USB - Green LED near the USB connector on Stepcraft turns ON - WinPC-NC USB recognizes the CNC and it functions properly

2. - 4th axis connected - start WinPC-NC USB - LEDs near the USB connector on Stepcraft are switched OFF - WinPC-NC USB fails to recognize the CNC and it enters in "demo mode"

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

• MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Zu viele Ideen und zu wenig Zeit
Mehr
06 Jun 2014 15:08 - 06 Jun 2014 15:10 #5817 von MagIO2
MagIO2 antwortete auf Stepcraft 600 4th axis problem
Welcome to the forum!

I never read something like that in the forum before, so I'd guess that the best chance to get help is to ask Stepcraft support or Mr. Lewetz directly ( here you can find an email-address).

If I'd have to guess, I'd say that the 4th axis module (or maybe the motor attached to it) produces some kind of a shortcut, which drops supply voltage below a level where the USB module works correctly. Do you have the capability to measure voltage without producing shortcuts on your own?

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas
Letzte Änderung: 06 Jun 2014 15:10 von MagIO2.

• screamer2703
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
06 Jun 2014 15:49 #5818 von screamer2703
screamer2703 antwortete auf Stepcraft 600 4th axis problem
Hello and thank you for your advices.

I have contacted Mr. Lewetz and after a few emails exchanged he pointed out that the problem must be on the hardware side and I should contact Stepcraft. I have sent an email to Stepcraft and I am currently awaiting a response.

As you advised, I checked the mainboard's 5V . The voltage remains at 5.06V while the 4 axis is connected or disconnected. I'd like to add that the CNC works fine if the 4th axis motor is not connected.

• screamer2703
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
06 Jun 2014 15:54 #5819 von screamer2703
Sorry for the double post.

I am still convinced that the problem is on the software side. I connected the CNC (4th axis motor attached) to the computer and in Device Manager the USB port appears as connected (this means that the Stepcraft USB works properly). The only problem is that the WinPC-NC USB does not recognize the CNC machine.

• MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
06 Jun 2014 16:12 #5820 von MagIO2
The USB chip is powered by the USB port and optically isolated from the rest of the USB board. USB communication is handled by an FTDI chip, which converts USB to a normal serial interface. The USB part is totally working on it`s own. So, yes, the PC might see the serial port, but the USB board mikrocontroller is affected by the problem and unable to respond.

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas

• screamer2703
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
10 Jun 2014 11:00 #5897 von screamer2703
Thank you for the information.

I am starting to suspect the 4th axis motor. Problems arise only when the motor is connected. Is there a chance that the 4th axis BOARD is at fault ? even though the cnc works fine with the board connected and the motor disconnected ?

• MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
10 Jun 2014 11:16 #5898 von MagIO2
Did you exchange motors? If one of the other motors works fine with the board, the board is OK. If another motor ,which worked before, is attached to the board and fails as well, it is the board.

Gruß, Andreas

• screamer2703
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
10 Jun 2014 13:53 #5905 von screamer2703
Is there a pinout for the 4th axis motor connector available ?

Mehr
10 Jun 2014 13:59 - 10 Jun 2014 14:00 #5906 von Jörg
Jörg antwortete auf Stepcraft 600 4th axis problem
Hi,

the pinout is in the Anschlussplan (connection Diagrams), the 4th axis module is "Steckverbinder 4. Achse / Sub-D 9 (X101)"

The stepper is connected to pins 1-2 (1A/1B) and 6-7 (2A/2B).

Hope this helps,

Jörg
Letzte Änderung: 10 Jun 2014 14:00 von Jörg.

• screamer2703
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
16 Jun 2014 14:10 #5991 von screamer2703
After a few emails exchanged with Stepcraft Support and checking for solder bridges between connector pins, the WinPC-NC USB software started to recognize the CNC when the 4th axis motor was connected.

After this, the only thing left to do was to check the box for the function "Enable 4th axis" in "Machine parameters" settings.

Now the CNC works with the 4th axis.

Thank you MagIO2 and Jörg for the added support,
Ionut