• Pumf
  • Pumf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
12 Sep 2014 19:07 #8088 by Pumf
Laser was created by Pumf
Hello Every body,

Evenif I'm leaving in germany, I can't still write (talk) enough good german so as to express my self in a proper way. Luckily most of you will understand what I'm writting.
I bough, last christmass, a 420 model. I'm really happy with it. I build a cabinet for it (her), because I'm leaving in a flat. So I have to limit the durst and the noise.
Now I had the crazzy idea to go 1 step more. I would like to install a laser on it. There are to main application: engraving and cutting.
I was already on a lot of forum specific to laser. I learnt a lot (in addition to my professionnal knowledge in this field).
My problem know is, how to control the laser (PWM) from the CNC board. When it is not possible. I will have to manage an external card for it.
For your info, I'm have a Mach3 licence. From Mach3, there are trics to control the laser.

Is there any one who already tried to make it rather with a CO2 tube rather with a diode 445nm kit? Is there any spindle PWM signal on the board of the CNC (I guess no)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• eon16
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • SC-600 4A, WinPCNC USB, AutoCAD, ESTLCam,
More
12 Sep 2014 20:12 #8090 by eon16
Replied by eon16 on topic Laser
Hi,

if you are working with Mach3 why you don't use the camera plugin of kd-dietz.com?

Gruß

Wolf
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pumf

More
12 Sep 2014 22:47 - 12 Sep 2014 22:50 #8097 by Rory
Replied by Rory on topic Laser
There is a PWM signal output for the spindle - it can be used to control the laser supply.
The problem is getting this to match the PWM signal for your laser power supply.

As the logic in the machine controller operated on 5VDC - a common way to get an analogue signal out (0-10V DC for a VFD for example) is to use the PWM based digital logic to control an external card for VFD control.

The other problem is the photo etching / raster setting. So getting the laser to "print" is tricky. Mach3 (from what I've read) can only really "cut" when controlling the laser. I could be wrong as no expert here in this.

be great to hear some direct experience with this - we have only worked with dedicated laser controllers that have all the functionality built into the controller.
Last edit: 12 Sep 2014 22:50 by Rory.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pumf

• Pumf
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
13 Sep 2014 15:07 #8115 by Pumf
Replied by Pumf on topic Laser
Thank's to both of you.
I'm still in my investigation phase. as soon as I'm geting deeply in this topic I'll let you know. For sure I'll perhaps have more question about this PWM signal (where to "catch"it). For now, I'm in the wave length investigation (vs application).
As you mentioned as well I've to investigate as well the software part of the "problem" (G code generator for engraving in 8 bit). I' e already seen some tuto on the setup of Mach3, but perhaps there is something more dedicated and simple.

To be continued....

Again thank you for the quick comment and interest.

More
14 Sep 2014 12:56 #8138 by Rory
The PWM for the spindle output on Mach3 works by making the duty cycle 100% for full spindle speed and 0% for 0 spindle speed.

The frequency can be changed - the period will then be changed to keep with the 0% 100% rule.

Can't commend on the resolution of the PWM output.
The UC100/300 have 12 bit resolution on this output (need to check this)

We use Mach3 and UCCNC to control VFD's for high frequency spindles and the signals work great.

Good luck with the project - we are all interested to hear how you get on.

• Pumf
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
21 Sep 2014 11:44 #8370 by Pumf
Thanks for the Info. I'll update this post as sson as I'm further in my investigations.

• Pumf
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
05 Oct 2014 14:47 #8865 by Pumf
The laser is ordered. I ordered a 2.5W "blue" laser (445nm) delivered with a driver which seams to be compatible with Mach3 (there is a tuto on how to set up Mach3 for the PWM on their web site.
Now, my problem is to "break out" the parallel port between the computer and the CNC to get the PWM pin free.

I found some Break out board, but they are only available in China. Rather I build mine with the CNC, rather there is a way to get directly the signal on the board of the CNC. Or is there any pin free that I catch "catch" from the board?

As soon as the first test is done, I'll let you know.

More
05 Oct 2014 15:03 #8867 by druckgott
Replied by druckgott on topic Laser
how mich have you paid for the laser

SC 420 SolidEdge--> FilouNC12--> Mach3
cnc-wiki.de/

• Pumf
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
More
05 Oct 2014 20:10 #8883 by Pumf
You'll find all the info here:
Jtech

it is somhow the best compromise I found... I wanted to go in CO2 but I was scared by the miror alignement, the tube life time, and the durst (when using still the CNC as it is made for)

SO at the end, it is around€.

I still have to build the holder, but with the CNC it should not be a big deal.

More
20 Oct 2014 21:35 #9397 by heustec
Replied by heustec on topic Laser

Pumf wrote: Hello Every body,

... I build a cabinet for it (her), because I'm leaving in a flat. So I have to limit the durst and the noise...

Would you mind showing us a photo of your cabinet? Im thinking of building one, I'd love to see what you have done! :)

More
20 Oct 2014 23:11 #9417 by Rory
You can get a PWM signal from the output for the 3D printer / HF spindle. This is how the speed and fan strength is controlled. you do not need to split the BOB

you are intending to use the STEPCRAFT yes?

you MUST keep mirrors clean - and they must be aligned perfectly. Make sure you are extremely careful with the laser. Any laser beam in your eye - even for a fraction of a second and your blind. they are really quite dangerous.

A CNC / Laser combo is not a good idea. Dust form CNC will contaminate laser mirrors. it needs to be one or the other in my opinion.

what strenght C02 tube did you get?

More
06 Jul 2016 21:37 - 06 Jul 2016 21:54 #35550 by FaFiNoS
Replied by FaFiNoS on topic Laser
Hi,

I have PLH-5000 5W laser from Opt Lasers . I have replaced my UC100 controller with new UC400ETH and HDBB2 breakout board. Port #1 from UC400 is used to control SC and #2 control analog PWM for laser. Below few photos and link to video.

Video link

S600 v2, HF500, FME 1050, Industrial quality small HF spindle and many many other things.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: 06 Jul 2016 21:54 by FaFiNoS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sickone4, klaner62, findel64, DocBrown, per.takman

More
07 Nov 2016 21:43 #39194 by bart@caminos
Replied by bart@caminos on topic Laser
Hey FaFiNoS,

Are you still happy with the laser?
I would cut soft foam with is as when I router it out it makes a real mess ...

Is it difficult to setup and manage?
Any other video's?

Any info is welcome.
Thanks

Bart from Belgium

Stepcraft 2/840 - HF - WinPC-NC - VCarve Desktop

More
06 Dec 2016 12:29 #40200 by rodrigocatarino
Replied by rodrigocatarino on topic Laser
Hi FaFiNoS,

I am really interested in your setup.
I am willing to buy the new PLH3D 6W from Opt Lasers but I need to get some more information on how to control ON or OFF the laser using my Stepcraft 840V2.
I really dont need the ethernet port to deal with my machine.
Do you know how can the laser be controlled with the machine interface?

Also regarding the UCCNC software (the software i have), can you please detail your configurations? What pin/port is mapped to where? Maybe some prinscreens of the setup.

Jtech have some info on how to use the machine interface. They have some instruction as well:

jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=3905

Their setup is for Mach3 tough.

Any help, details will be very helpfull.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Rodrigo Catarino
The following user(s) said Thank You: DocBrown

More
06 Dec 2016 12:33 #40201 by rodrigocatarino
Hi all,

In fact jtechphotonics updated their manual with the UCCNC configuration as well.

I will have a look and will try to make a few tests simulating only the ON OFF command and a multimeter.

Regards,
Rodrigo

More
10 Dec 2016 11:51 #40422 by rodrigocatarino
Hi all,

As I said, I've tested my machine after following the J Tech instructions.
As for the ON OFF it works without any issues.
Today I will try to test the PWM, but only with a multimeter it's tricky, the ideal tool would be a oscilloscope.

My laser will arrive next wednesday or thursday, so once I have all setup, I will update this thread.

Regards,
Rodrigo
The following user(s) said Thank You: DocBrown

More
10 Dec 2016 12:19 #40424 by drilldevil
Replied by drilldevil on topic Laser
hi,

use leds (if needed in a row). leds are dimmable via pwm !

Andreas

More
12 Dec 2016 14:22 #40535 by rodrigocatarino
Hi drilldevil,

Do you know what voltage is the PWM output on the machine? 0-5v?
I will do some tests and report back...

Regards,
Rodrigo

drilldevil wrote: hi,

use leds (if needed in a row). leds are dimmable via pwm !

More
12 Dec 2016 16:04 #40543 by rodrigocatarino

More
08 Jan 2017 17:05 #42211 by Solarier
Replied by Solarier on topic Laser

rodrigocatarino wrote: Here's a good (safe) way to measure PWM:

en-us.fluke.com/training/training-library/test-tools/digital-multimeters/how-to-measure-duty-cycle-with-a-digital-multimeter.html

Regards,
Rodrigo

Hi Rodrigo,
any news on your PWM tests? I'm really keen to see the results. As far as I know the PWM output of the machine is 0...5V.

Thanks and best regards,
Sol