file Frage Allowing for Stepover

Mehr
15 Apr 2017 17:36 #46379 von SFDeeJay
Allowing for Stepover wurde erstellt von SFDeeJay
Is it NOT possible to cut a 1/4" slot with a 1/4" ball end mill end (because of stepover allowance)? The attached error (from VCarve Pro) will not allow the next step of creating toolpaths, but this does not happen when I choose a 1/8" mill end. I would like to be able to remove more material at a time (no prob for the StepCraft 500w spindle), instead of multiple passes with the smaller end mill. I can accept an answer of "have more patience", but I won't be happy. Thanks all.

Dieser Beitrag enthält einen Bildanhang.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um ihn zu sehen.

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
16 Apr 2017 02:41 #46397 von ger21
ger21 antwortete auf Allowing for Stepover
Draw a vector down the center of your slot and use a profile cut, ON the vector.

If you want to use a pocket toolpath, make the slot slightly larger, like 0.255".

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: SFDeeJay

Mehr
16 Apr 2017 16:58 #46409 von SFDeeJay
SFDeeJay antwortete auf Allowing for Stepover
Gerry, your second suggestion is exactly as I had suspected. Apparently, even using a 1/8 diameter bit won't work without the extra "slop", because the software won't allow a zero Stepover. Because my entire toolpath followed the outside of the drawing, I hadn't thought of your first suggestion - right on the line. I am going to try this with a 1/4" ballnose. Thank you very much.