lock Frage PCB millig problem

• claudiug
  • claudiugs Avatar Autor
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
25 Apr 2017 19:47 #46648 von claudiug
PCB millig problem wurde erstellt von claudiug
Hi .
I own the stepcraft 420, and ry to mill pcb.. but have issues.
I cannot figure out my problem with the stepcraft... on milling pcb's.

I have dismantled the stepcraft over 3 times now and built it back.
I see no movment when pusing the x, y x beams y hand, and the stepcraft can now make a full movment without stalling.. but when milling a pcb with a 0.4mm mill I cannot obtain good quality cuts.

My paths are not closing eachother and my round profiles get an oval shape.
Can it be that I have a driver issue here or what other ideea ? (i need to specify that i wasted lots of time into adjusting my mechanical plays and making making my machine be ok on this side.. and creating an almost perfect balance in betwee no movment of the beams like x, y z and the loosing steps or stalling .. and start to belive the drivers are to small and maybe they could be bigger.

Attached my bad results in pcb milig of normal 2.54mm spacing pcb type, and the G-code of the pcb job while using several 0.4mm mills.

Dieser Beitrag enthält Bilddateien.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um sie zu sehen.

Dieser Beitrag enthält einen Anhang.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um ihn zu sehen.

Dieses Thema wurde gesperrt.
Mehr
26 Apr 2017 01:10 #46660 von qdewolf
qdewolf antwortete auf PCB millig problem
what program sets up the gcode? I used pcbgcode.ulp in eagle cad and it works fine. i used a depth of -.15mm, x and y feed of 250mm/min at 20000rpm, and tool diameter of .3mm. i broke a lot of bits till i found the correct one at amazon
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QU80Y0M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
i set the z zero in the center to average any tilt.
  • MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Zu viele Ideen und zu wenig Zeit
Mehr
26 Apr 2017 09:16 - 26 Apr 2017 09:17 #46665 von MagIO2
MagIO2 antwortete auf PCB millig problem
Well .. lots of people have the Steppi running with exactly the same drivers. And for PCB milling ... there are no big forces involved.

I think there are 3. possibilities:
1. You loose steps in one direction more than in the other
2. You still have backslash
3. You entered backslash compensation values in your software and forgot to remove them after adjusting the hardware.

With high quality engraving tool your isolations will be much narrower. Have a look at the images in this thread
And using othe PCBs based on hard paper will increase lifetime of the tool. Nothing worse than fiber glass epoxy.

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas
Letzte Änderung: 26 Apr 2017 09:17 von MagIO2.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: ThomasDbg
  • claudiug
  • claudiugs Avatar Autor
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
26 Apr 2017 10:09 #46668 von claudiug
claudiug antwortete auf PCB millig problem
Hi QdeWolf.

I got the dxf of the milling profile from this forums. It's a circuit related to estelcam direct control.
More I have used Estlcam10 (veryvery nice software by the way.. thanks to Kristian).. to better understand how good the cuts will look like when using 0.4mm milling tools.

just don't understand what could be vrong with stepcraft nd why for this mini cnc it's so hard to make mechanicl adjustment or how to remove backslash.

I saw MagIO2 respnce but I really don't know how to make backslash compensation and did not used them before. I will check thosu once again if this is the case and how to do this.. and if they are needed. I saw stepcrafts recomed making some backslash compenstions for very good resolution as I remember.
thanks... but really can't unerstand why your machine can do even smd pcb milling and mine cannot do nice normla 2.5mm spacing miilings properly.
Mehr
26 Apr 2017 13:24 #46670 von peterg1000
peterg1000 antwortete auf PCB millig problem
Hi,

A question - what motion control have you on your machine, UCCNC/UC100 or something else?

Looking at your picture of an engraved board, there are significant depth variations, so the laminate is probably not flat. IMHO if you are engraving narrow tracks and isolation you probably need a vacuum table to hold the laminate. Mine is home made from wood and mdf, and was machined flat in situ with a new 1/4" endmill.

As far as tools are concerned, I use a 30degree single flute carbide bit whose end diameter is approximately 0.1mm (.004"). Spindle speed is 18000rpm and engraving speed is set to 500mm/min. Cutting depth for a single pass I normally set to 0.010"

Backlash compensation is essential to making fine tracks, but without knowing what motion control system you have I can't offer any advice. Suffice it to say that you should be able to reliably engrave 0.010" tracks with 0.010" isolation.

I've posted several pictures of my efforts on this forum, so these may give you some idea of what is possible - and I am still learning!! I generate schematics and board layouts using Eagle, with pcb-gcode generating toolpaths. These will run unedited under UCCNC/UC100.

Peter

SC 420/2, Industrial VFD spindle from StoneyCNC
UC100 + UCCNC
Cut2D, Autosketch10, Draftsight, Eagle 9.5.1

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.
  • MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
26 Apr 2017 16:27 #46674 von MagIO2
He told us ... he is using EstlCAM. It has a build in machine control, which requires an Arduino to generate the stepper signals. And even better, it allows to scan the surface before milling and would do a correction of z-axis by itself.

What about the spindle? Is there some play in the spindle? I would suggest to setup everything and then push and pull in all directions at the tip of the endmill. If you have a backslash problem it must move somewhere.
If not, you must be loosing steps, having mechanical reasons or I would guess less likely electrical reasons.

SC 420 mit DIY parallel + Proxxon mit Mod + HF500 + SprintLayout + LibreCAD/QCAD + FreeCAD +WinPC starter/USB->EstlCAM + EstlCAM LPTAdapter + EstlCAM Handrad + DIY Vakuumtisch

Gruß, Andreas
  • claudiug
  • claudiugs Avatar Autor
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
27 Apr 2017 10:40 #46684 von claudiug
No. I use Estlcam to generate the G-code.
I use for milling the WINPC-NC Proffesional USB version that comes with the Stepcraft milling machine as an option.

I am trying to get rid of the WinPC-nc version if I succesfully manage to engrave this board , and make the arduino Shield required to control the Stepcraft trough the Arduino via Estlcam software.

I seem to be ages from this point.

The nicest looking results on that PCB board I made are also made with 1 single flute 30 degree angle, so thanks for this tip, as I did not choose a bad tool.

I just need to understand the Axis that is loosing steps and why? Maybe still this machine has some mechanical issue...
I will make some marking on the x&Y axis and mill some more stuff and see witch axis is loosing steps.
After this I plan to make test backslash function and how this should be used to increase the accuracy.

From my copper traces apparently my problem is in the X beam .. as sometimes the traces are wider and somethimes too thin for keeping copper. (Strange that for Stepcraft X beam is what for other routers and CNC's I ave made is Y :) )

I will come back with what should be made, and my results in the following days. Until now.. I's just advice no one to buy a stepcraft for PCB drilling unless they need to fix it all day long :(.. as at least they don't reply by mail and the product ways of adjustment is just and trial and error compared to simple linear bearings that just work.

Thanks.
  • MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
27 Apr 2017 14:31 #46689 von MagIO2
I am sorry to say this, but, having a look on the image, my guess is that you have problems on both, x and y. You have to look at the horizontal and the vertical traces. For both you find examples showing too narrow and too wide traces.

Would calling Stepcraft be an option? By mail you simply end up in a stack of mails and it can take a while.

WinPC NC has a setup for backslash, as far as I remember. I only have starter version and I don't use it anymore, so I can't tell you out of my head where it can be found. Someone else? Maybe worth to double check these settings, maybe changed by accident, maybe strange default settings ...

Gruß, Andreas
  • ThomasDbg
  • ThomasDbgs Avatar
  • SC2/600 mit HF Spindel 500W
Mehr
27 Apr 2017 14:40 #46691 von ThomasDbg
ThomasDbg antwortete auf PCB millig problem
Do not want to write to much at this time, found some mistakes in the used file and asked some questions to figure out, what´s the reason...

...btw. of course answered the email, but needed a day...

Produktevangelist :-)

Es grüßt mit der Ihm gegebenen Freundlichkeit...

...der Thomas
  • claudiug
  • claudiugs Avatar Autor
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
29 Apr 2017 17:43 #46776 von claudiug
Hi ThomasDbg.
There was no mistakes in my g-code file.
Probably you don't know how to interpret them well enaugh.

The traces were milled and programmed for a 0.3mm mill, and the name of the tool remained 3mm.
The name of the tool does no count. I could have been 1km diamter mill, and then probably your reply would have been I fount Out that ClaudiuG whants to drill 0.4mm paths using 1kilometer diamter drill :)).

I'm nt such a noob you know.
The deal is that I hve build until now about 3 or for big cnc-s and this is the only one I have bought (Steppy 420).
Some how i regret it as the product has lots of flaws.
The nice side is that is looks good, and the bad sides is that is.. very hard to adjust, and to be able to quickly make work.

I found out I dismantled this stepcraft almost 2 times this week. Now the x and Y gantries and the Z don't have any type of play when pushed by had slightly, or more..like before.

I found out the PCB's now look better after mechanical modifications and having a 0.3mm/secod advance speeds and will provide some pictures just when I finish the new PCB that is currently being in work.

I would advice any procedure or documentation describing calibration procedure or how we should adjut backslash as I could find this nowhere.
  • claudiug
  • claudiugs Avatar Autor
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
29 Apr 2017 18:27 #46777 von claudiug
Here is may latest results... a little better PCB, but still with issues and not functional..

I's like to mention that I spend time to adjust stepcraft milling CNC, enaugh to build a new prusa I3 3d printer.. and still not very good results..

Could someone in Spectraft please reply in this forum with cleare things to do? I marked with X and Y in the picture the axis of miling.

I also attach my latest g-code and I corected the name of the tools used in estlcam so that the Responce from Strpcraft would not be again offtopic.

What elese should I do ? Is thee any gcode for calibration of this cnc machine and based on this can I solve any of the axis issues ?

Dieser Beitrag enthält einen Bildanhang.

Dieser Beitrag enthält einen Anhang.

• ThomasDbg
  • ThomasDbgs Avatar
  • SC2/600 mit HF Spindel 500W
Mehr
03 Mai 2017 14:49 - 03 Mai 2017 14:50 #46850 von ThomasDbg
ThomasDbg antwortete auf PCB millig problem
Claudiu, that isn´t right.

I´ve emailed you a Picture of your gcode and mine and showed you the error. Additional I´ve asked you to allign the machine carfeully and check the backlash.

I haven´t got any answer from you until today! Blaming in this customers Forum doesn´t help.

So let´s try to figure out, what´s the reason for your problem!

Enclosed you´ll find the two pictures, which show the mistake (according to your milled PCB).

...and of Course, as Long as you only name a router "Elisabeth" it will not do a radius correction "Elizabeth", You perhaps wonder, but at Stepcraft the people know this also...

So again, let´s stop blaiming and start solving your problem!

Btw. your new results are still bad!

Produktevangelist :-)

Es grüßt mit der Ihm gegebenen Freundlichkeit...

...der Thomas

Dieser Beitrag enthält Bilddateien.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um sie zu sehen.

Letzte Änderung: 03 Mai 2017 14:50 von ThomasDbg.
  • claudiug
  • claudiugs Avatar Autor
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
08 Mai 2017 09:10 #46973 von claudiug
Well please explain ho to align the machine..as you explain other things always but not where the problem comes from.
I agree my Gcode is first run and could have an issue in the TOP area.. but as well what steppy is milling is not consistent and does not look the same like a G-code file.. and this is the problem of this Spectraft product !!!

Or better please provide some gcode for calibration purposes that would allow us to find the problem and the axes that still has issues.

At this point I don't understand exactly which axis has a problem, mainly because sometimes the problem does not appear in that axis.

I would not correct anymore the mechanical frictions because I barely made the steppy run, without stalling while making a reference positioning (with the front 2 screws still not completely tighten only).

This said we should be at least pointed with a better forum or procedure that explain how to adjust and calibrate our stepcraft machines or the resolution and repetitiveness described in the site is just a big lie, and it's quite far away from the normal user experience.
Mehr
08 Mai 2017 10:19 #46974 von peterg1000
If your machine is barely able to move even with screws loose, your chances of making a decent pcb are vanishingly small.

You need to get your machine properly set up first - try looking through the posts on this forum to see advice given to users whose machines suffered similar problems.

When properly adjusted and with backlash compensation, tracks and isolation 0.008" (200micros) wide can be accurately and reliably engraved.

UC100 + UCCNC

There is no problem, however simple, that cannot be made more complicated by thinking about it.
  • MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
08 Mai 2017 10:59 #46975 von MagIO2
If you expect support from SC, you should stick to the support channels they offer, which are email, phone and maybe skype. The forum is meant to be a user forum with little chance to get heared by SC staff.

I don't see a problem in creating a simple "calibration file" on your own. Create a circle and mill it at different locations along the y and x axes.
If it is not perfectly circular but the start and end position match, you probably have a backslash-problem.
If start and end position do not match, you probably loose steps in one direction per axis.

Use the forum search to find solutions that worked for other users.

Gruß, Andreas
  • claudiug
  • claudiugs Avatar Autor
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
08 Mai 2017 12:44 #46978 von claudiug
The machine is moving very well..( but only with front screws slight not tighten).. otherwise it's making that grr sound of missing steps/motor too little, and a bad overall project like it is.

The seems to be no play now visible with the eyes when pushing on the X, Y, Z axes.

Not sure why this forum exists, and if they understand how many customers look.
In my county I have said no to lots of friend for this product.. and no one will be really interested to have such bad times with it.

Will try to create my own calibration template and play with backslash compensation, just to proove there is no chance this product can really be used with 2.54mm PCB.

bye.
  • claudiug
  • claudiugs Avatar Autor
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
08 Mai 2017 13:33 #46980 von claudiug
The machine is moving very well..( but only with front screws slight not tighten).. otherwise it's making that grr sound of missing steps/motor too little, and a bad overall project like it is.

The seems to be no play now visible with the eyes when pushing on the X, Y, Z axes.

Not sure why this forum exists, and if they understand how many customers look.
In my county I have said no to lots of friend for this product.. and no one will be really interested to have such bad times with it.

Will try to create my own calibration template and play with backslash compensation, just to proove there is no chance this product can really be used with 2.54mm PCB.

bye.
Mehr
08 Mai 2017 13:34 #46981 von peterg1000
Since you appear to think your machine is correctly set up when it clearly isn't, I feel disinclined to offer any further suggestions.

It can and does produce excellent pcb's, so bad mouthing the machine is not at all helpful.

UC100 + UCCNC

• claudiug
  • claudiugs Avatar Autor
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
08 Mai 2017 14:14 #46984 von claudiug
I'm not sure what family are you here or what business you people run for Stepcraft....but it's mindbuggling.

But if you really have some knowledge and support or if this company would have been serious it would have been able to provide some clear picture, and tips and trick to solve the issues. Instead they know to look in G-codes files and explain your code is not good but they forget to look at the milling results and offer constructive help relted to the machine and what could be wrong(that hundreds of other Customers report as well)

The clips below show the best the quality of this product and why maybe you cannot do something precise with it. not to mention numerous other problem while building it or after building it. (Maybe a good ideea is to make a clip on how ba it is.. and how much time you can waste).

The motto of such a company should be changed into :

Stepcraft
Think It. Make it somwhere else or play forver !
  • MagIO2
  • MagIO2s Avatar
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
08 Mai 2017 19:42 - 08 Mai 2017 19:46 #46986 von MagIO2

claudiug schrieb: I'm not sure what family are you here or what business you people run for Stepcraft....but it's mindbuggling.

So, now you start blaming other users?! The few people that are related to SC and are members of the forum are well known. So, what you hear is the voice of people who are happy with their machines. Some without any problems and some also having starting problems of one or the other kind. But even people shouting louder than you made it run in the end.

claudiug schrieb: But if you really have some knowledge ...

Well ... my machine is running fine.

claudiug schrieb: ... support or if this company would have been serious ...

They are serious! You're only not willing to follow their rules of support. They seriously want you to mail or call. And if you'd not be speaking so negative in a public forum, they'd probably offer a direct skype call.

Serious tipp: Mail them the URLs to the attached videos.

claudiug schrieb: .. and why maybe you cannot do something precise with it.

Well ... maybe pecision of the machine is proportional to the capabilities of the owner?

claudiug schrieb: .. not to mention numerous other problem while building it or after building it.

Maybe you should have played Lego more often?

claudiug schrieb: (Maybe a good ideea is to make a clip on how ba it is.. and how much time you can waste).

Maybe it would have been a nice idea to film the whole build, so that others would learn how it should NOT be done? Maybe it would be good for one or the other laugh as well?!

Sorry ... same level that you show here ... but I could not resist ... maybe wrong daytime ... your blaming just sucks!

claudiug schrieb: The motto of such a company should be changed into :

Stepcraft
Think It. Make it somwhere else or play forver !

You are really SOOOO clever!

I'm out unless you behave like an intelligent adult.

Gruß, Andreas
Letzte Änderung: 08 Mai 2017 19:46 von MagIO2.