file Frage Cutting Tungsten Carbide

Mehr
21 Apr 2017 19:47 #46552 von Doug
Cutting Tungsten Carbide wurde erstellt von Doug
Well it's not often that I'll be damned, but today, I'll be damned. :shock:

I bought these extra long ball and flat nose end mills for cutting the lower side of the Red Special neck because they have a flute length of 38 mm compared to 25 mm for a standard 'long' flute cutter. I only plan to cut the upper side to 15 mm depth with 5 mm ball and flat nose end mills so standard length cutters will do. However, the overall length of the extra long bits is 100 mm and I didn't really think about how I was going to reduce the length (75 mm will do), I just assumed that I'd work something out. :?

I figured that I'd just try a quick cut with a diamond coated cut off discs I probably bought cheaply off eBay some time go. I matched them to a meaty 1/4" arbor which I had to grind flats into to allow enough purchase with pliers to release the holding screw. A bit of a lash-up but it worked for steel and aluminium.

I was somewhat astonished to find that these discs went through the micrograin solid tungsten carbide rod like a hot knife through butter. :shock: :shock: With the cutter most of the way through, the stump just snapped off like an ice lolly/popsicle.

Obviously, the carbide rod is hard but brittle and easy to grind away... either that or the diamond coated cut off discs are much heavier duty than I thought.

Doug

Dieses Bild ist für Gäste verborgen.
Bitte anmelden oder registrieren um das Bild zu sehen.

Dieses Bild ist für Gäste verborgen.
Bitte anmelden oder registrieren um das Bild zu sehen.

Stepcraft 2/840, StoneyCNC industrial HF spindle, 4th axis, TurboCAD 2016 Professional 64 bit, MeshCAM, GWizard feeds & speeds calculator, UCCNC
Hobby use: guitar building (luthiery), dsgb.net
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Pontomira

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.