• WolframSlides
  • WolframSlidess Avatar Autor
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
27 Mai 2015 18:52 #21513 von WolframSlides
Cutting Plastazote with Donek drag knife wurde erstellt von WolframSlides
Hi all,

Thought I'd share something a bit different here - some pics of the 2mm LD33 Plastazote foam I'm cutting with my SC840 and Donek D4 dragknife, both supplied by the excellent Rory of StoneyCNC, whose support in getting everything up and running has been absolutely invaluable!

I'm cutting three different shapes into 2mm Plastazote to stack to make a 6mm insert for a CD-like plastic case. The Donek D4 does an excellent job running at 3000 mm/min. The foam comes in long rolls, which I'm securing for cutting with a CNC-Step vacuum table. It took a while to get the parameters (cut depth, swivel depth for the corner actions etc.) right, because the table is not really flat - it has a slight bow to it (front and back) but it's working well enough.

The product incidentally is a very high-quality crystal glass nailfile for guitarists, made for me in the Czech Republic. Prior to the arrival of my Stepcraft, I was cutting this packaging individually by hand with an x-acto knife!!

Cheers,
David

Dieser Beitrag enthält Bilddateien.
Bitte anmelden (oder registrieren) um sie zu sehen.

Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Rory, bvps, Pyromane, woodendonkey, Duncan, hale2160, AJuncaoDesign

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
29 Mai 2015 20:42 - 29 Mai 2015 20:42 #21639 von julius
Thumbs up!
Amazing results :woohoo:

SC300 + Spindle HF500 + Portalerhöhung + LinuxCNC + gsimple
Letzte Änderung: 29 Mai 2015 20:42 von julius.

Mehr
23 Okt 2015 21:44 #26204 von stepcraft-usa
stepcraft-usa antwortete auf Cutting Plastazote with Donek drag knife
What did you use for a program to setup the G Code for the Donek? Vectric stuff? And what did you use for values (offset, etc)? We have one here and can not get it to work with the dragknife gadget in Vectric Cut2D pro.

Thank you

Mehr
24 Okt 2015 19:11 #26214 von jvalencia
jvalencia antwortete auf Cutting Plastazote with Donek drag knife

stepcraft-usa schrieb: What did you use for a program to setup the G Code for the Donek? Vectric stuff? And what did you use for values (offset, etc)? We have one here and can not get it to work with the dragknife gadget in Vectric Cut2D pro.

Thank you

I think the key parameter is the acceleration. By using a low value you give enough time for the knife to rotate. It's a drag knife after all, it requires motion to align.

By low I mean about 100mm/sec for example.

Stepcraft 2 840
Kress 800 FME
UCCNC + UC100
V-Carve + QCad

• WolframSlides
  • WolframSlidess Avatar Autor
  • Forum Nutzer
  • Forum Nutzer
Mehr
24 Okt 2015 23:00 #26218 von WolframSlides
WolframSlides antwortete auf Cutting Plastazote with Donek drag knife
I use Sheetcam to generate my toolpaths - never used any of the Vectric stuff. This swivels the knife on the corners, which enables sharp corners etc.

I have my 840 well tuned, and run it at 5000mm/min on X and Y axes when cutting with the Donek. Obviously it runs slower when swivelling, as UCCNC applies acceleration to the toolpaths.

The offsets for the various Donek versions are here http://donektools.com/compare-drag-knife-models/ - mine is a D4 so I use 4mm offset.

Cheers,
David