file Frage Undocumented assembly steps, wheezes and advice

Mehr
18 Mai 2017 16:39 #47344 von Huff
If you have any advice on a specific point for those about to embark on building a Stepcraft, please add to this thread. If related to specific machine please cite, likewise if possible quote stepcraft part-numbers from the assembly manual, with a photograph if helpful.

Here's mine:

Parts #90/#38 (Clamping system - grey powder-coated channel with M5 threaded holes qty 10)

The powder-coating on these two (#90) parts had migrated into the threads as supplied, and had to be gently and carefully reamed out with an M5x0.8mm tap before use, to clean out the threads before use. Caution, most tap sets also contain an M5 0.9mm tap, so have a care to select the correct (0.8mm) one. Great care should be taken that the tap is correctly aligned so as not to cut a new, "cross-threaded" hole. If unused to using taps, then suggest you use a light engineering firm to do the job. Winding the screws (#38) into each of the holes with a suitable allen-key might have worked to clear them of excess powder-coat, but I lacked the courage to try it!
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Doug, Martingchapman

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um der Konversation beizutreten.

Mehr
18 Mai 2017 18:03 - 18 Mai 2017 18:06 #47348 von Doug
Letzte Änderung: 18 Mai 2017 18:06 von Doug.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Huff, MMorao, Martingchapman

Mehr
01 Jun 2017 18:20 #47784 von Huff
One more from me:

If you're getting router and the LED lighting set, be sure not to start building the router until you've got the LED set, this is because - as far as I understand it - the wiring for the LED cables needs to be routed through the same tiny hose as all the x/y cabling (imho - there simply isn't room for both sets of cables!). Unless of course you have an enclosure, whereupon one could simply route the cables under the router and put the LED's on the under-surface of the enclosure "ceiling"; if indeed the cables are long enough! Moreover the instructions invite you to drill a 4mm hole through the gantry side to route the cable!

Upshot, the LED lighting set appears somewhat ill-though-out, and certainly purchasers should be warned about the logical point at which this thing can practically fit it to a router - ie not try retrofitting it to an extant machine.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Martingchapman

Mehr
05 Jun 2017 14:22 #47908 von Rory
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Huff, gunnar, Martingchapman